Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Provo, oh, Provo.

Like so many other people posting these days, I'm feeling like a back to school post is in order. Yesterday I thought that my semester wasn't going to turn out to be as hard as I thought it would be. It sure seemed like that yesterday. But upon revisiting at my new and improved schedule, (with English 363 dropped--sad, and Women's Chorus and my Writing Fellows classes added--happy) I realized that there is a seriously large chance that I Will Be Taking Eighteen Credits This Semester. Yikes. And not just eighteen normal credits, ladies and gentlemen. But the eighteen-much-more-work-and-class-time-than-the-actual-amount-of-credits-you-get kind of credits. Plus my job. Yet, I'm strangely not freaked out about it.

The 18th credit of these fell into my lap (figuratively speaking--college credits, unfortunately, do not fall from the sky) last night, when my dear friend Jordan came over, and offered to take a dance class with me, since I ended up having to drop the one I'd signed up for. The trick is, Jordan wants to take Social Dance 280, for which the pre-requisite is Dance 180....which Lisa has not taken. Hm. However, my brother, Will, and several other gentlemanly gentlemen have taught me most of the basics to the dances in the class, along with several other steps only taught in 280, and I've learned dancing in other places...so hopefully that will work out. Technically, I don't even know if they'll let me add it. Hopefully since a boy is coming with me, they will. And hopefully they don't ask if I've taken the pre-req. Or maybe I'll just audit it. We'll see.

On a slightly different note, here are some ponders I have been pondering lately:

I wonder how many times I have been on Facebook on campus when the person whose Facebook profile I was perusing has walked past right behind me. Or worse, I wonder how many times people have been Facebook stalking friends of friends/people they don't know and the not-known person walks by and sees that someone they don't know is creeping their profile. That would be really...disconcerting, I think.

When writing a sentence with parentheses in it that needs a comma on the clause before the parentheses, does the comma go right before the parentheses or after the parentheses, just outside them? I've seen it the second way a number of times (like this is), but I think that's kind of weird looking. Thoughts? (Note: I am an English major, so yes, I do wonder about grammatical placement of commas on occasion.)

For those of you who have taken Dance 280, how hard is it? Is it extremely unadviseable for me to take it without having taken 180, even if I've taken a different 100-level dance class and have done quite a bit of dancing informally with several different friends?

Why is my hair decently curly still, even though I'm back from London and no longer in a humid climate?

Fairly often, I will be looking at someone or something or somewhere that I love very much and have a lot of really good associations with, and I'll feel like kind of surge of feeling for whomever/whatever/wherever I'm looking at. The best way I can think to describe it is that it's this kind of bubbling over of love, just bursting out of me and soaking the other person, thing, or place in love. I'm just really happy lately, I guess, and I'm feeling a lot of love. :) Does everyone get that, or am I just weird?

And, the age-old question...

What should I make for dinner this week?

Oh Provo. I've missed you the past six months. :)


5 comments:

  1. First wondering: I will now think about that all the time!

    Second: I do it the way you think looks weird. P.S. Today I went to devo with Amanda and she was laughing at me because I was being English nerdy. And P.P.S. Jessie Arnold is in my American Lit class.

    Skip a few...

    99, 100 (aka the last): Um. I know what you mean. It happens to me ALL THE TIME. You are not weird. Unless we both are. Which wouldn't surprise me in the least, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're taking a dance class?!?! Lucky pants. Your hair is beautiful. It must have decided to keep the curl. End of story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling, my post is completely out of order, so I apologize.

    I think it looks weird too, I looked it up in my grammar book (because I'm a nerd and own a grammar book) and it doesn't have an example for parentheses, but structurally it reminds me of comma use with quotations where the comma goes before the quotation. But I could be wrong. We should probably find out what the all powerful MLA have to say about it, (because apparently they've made rules for almost every grammar situation) and then we'll know for sure.

    I think you'll do fine with Dance, especially with Jordan partnering you. The hardest is when you dance with partners who don't know how to lead.

    And I'm always worried when I facebook stalk people that they're going to know that I stalked them. That would just be awkward.

    And yes, but right now early semester stress is hindering the profusion of love. It is lovely though.

    That might or might not be all I thought in relation to your (text- wow I've been writing to many English papers) post. Either way I'm going to post my comment now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chicago Manual of Style, 15th ed. 6.56, p. 255:

    "/Location of comma./ When the context calls for a comma at the end of material in parentheses or brackets, the comma should follow the closing parenthesis or bracket. A comma never precedes a closing parenthesis.

    [Examples]

    "Although he rejected the first proposal (he could not have done otherwise), he made it clear that he was open to further negotiations.

    "He gives a careful, though stilted (and somewhat obscure), exposition."

    ...

    6.103, p. 266

    "Parentheses

    "/With other punctuation./ An opening parenthesis should be preceded by a comma or a semicolon only in an enumeration (see 6.126); a closing parenthesis should never be preceded by a comma or a semicolon [but aren't you glad the King James translators did? ;)]. A question mark, an exclamation point, and closing quotation marks precede a closing parenthesis if they belong to the parenthetical matter; they follow it if they belong to the surrounding sentence. A period precedes the closing parenthesis if the entire sentence is in parentheses; otherwise it follows. (A parenthetical enclosure of more than one sentence should not be included within another sentence. If a final period is needed at the end of such an enclosure, rewording may be necessary to keep the enclosure independent of the surrounding text, as is this one.) Parentheses should rarely appear back to back. Different kinds of material may, if necessary, be enclosed in a single set of parentheses, usually separated by a semicolon.

    [Examples]

    "Having entered (on tiptoe), we sat down at the nearest seats we could find.

    "Come on in (quietly, please!) and take a seat."

    ...

    So let it be written. So let it be done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh. Okay, I'll do it that way, Sharon, but I still think it looks weird. As for the KJV translators, I think they had the right idea. Chicago Style folks just want to keep the laity from making smiley faces in texts. They have no sense of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete