Sunday, April 4, 2010

On Guilt Trips for Neglect:

I always was a weird little kid. I had a rather overactive imagination. Think Anne Shirley--no really, I used to name different trees and walks that I especially liked and dream of a more "romantic" life. Le sigh.


Anyway, in this rather overactive imagination o' mine, I imagined that nonliving things had feelings and imaginations, in the same way that I did. Obviously, my dear stuffed animals Fluffy Kitty and Best Teddy felt and thought and dreamed like me, or else what would be the point of confiding in them or showing them all my secret hideaways as I did? Of course, I didn't confide in people who weren't important. And judging on the number of my five-year-old secrets that Best Teddy and Fluffy Kitty knew, they were the most important people in the universe.


Because I cared so much about what various nonliving toys, objects, and abstract ideas thought of me, I always especially tried to treat all of them equally and fairly. If I played a lot with one particular stuffed animal on Monday, I'd play with a different one on Tuesday, cycling through all of them before I played with Monday's child again. I wanted to be a very, very good and fair mother to all of my little charges, and this desire to be fair and equal with my attention-giving crossed into my treatment of everything in my life. If I couldn't give equal attention to all things that I felt were important, I was obviously doing something wrong or bad or cruel. Obviously.


I don't feel that way anymore. I've learned that sometimes, you just can't get to everything. And sometimes, certain things get neglected.


In the case of the past few weeks, it's been my blog. I'll try to do better at playing with my stuffed animals more fairly. But sometimes, certain ones just get neglected. 


Sorry, Best Teddy. Sorry, Blog.


1 comment:

  1. :-D I can definitely see you confiding in, and treating equally, all of your stuffed animals. A girls gotta have SOMEONE (or in your case THING) to talk to! :-) There are sometimes you simply can't please everyone (or thing...) Good, Better, Best :-D I'm dealing with similar struggles currently, it's difficult sometimes... But all's well! :D

    ReplyDelete