Sunday, August 1, 2010

Artistry

I think that God must have an awful lot of fun up there in heaven. I mean, tonight, He painted a western sky so golden that even the mountains in the east couldn't resist the glow. Then to shake things up a bit, He threw a couple of stone-gray thunderheads in right above them, so that the golden warmth contrasted with the storm clouds above and left me wondering if we were getting a sunset or a thunderstorm. Turned out to be both. I walked out to the street to a get better look, and almost right before my eyes, He added streaks of gold, pink, and green--unusual color for a sunset.

On top of the apartment complex behind me, some tenants had climbed up on the roof and reveled in His handiwork as well, by shouting at the top of their lungs, "LOOK AT THIS! IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!!!" I agreed, naturally, though they couldn't hear me murmur assent.

I looked at the sky again, and this time, faces I love came into my head. And you know, God is good, and there is an awful lot of beauty in the world around me. Each mountain is unique, each forest feels different, and the ocean changes from second to second. And yet each human soul has more depth and potential and individuality than each of them. Each soul is a miracle--a masterpiece.

That, my friends, is true artistry.

2 comments: